General facts and figures
General information about City of Stockholm
Multifaceted and exciting
- More than 850 000 people of different origins live inte the city.
- Around 40% of the city’s land consists of parks or recreational areas and there are 7 nature preserves.
- Around 525 000 people, of which 237 000 commute from other cities, work at around 36 000 work places.
- There are around 450 sport facilities including 14 public indoor pools visited by almost 3 million people every year.
- More than 4.2 million books are borrowed each year from the city’s libraries, and cultural activities are visited by more than 2.7 million people.
- Almost 300 annual events take place at the Ericsson Globe arena, attracting over 1.4 million visitors.
Innovative and growing
- The city's accessibility will increase through expanded roads and public transportations in cooperation with other actors in the region.
- Stockholm is Sweden’s largest business site with close to a fourth of the country’s businesses.
- 100 000 new housing units is planned for the Stockholm region before 2030.
- The city will conduct active climate operations to counteract an increase of greenhouse gas emissions.
The citizen's Stockholm
- Almost 45 000 children attend pre-school, nearly 74 000 students attend elementary school and close to 27 000 students attend upper secondary school.
- Home service for the elderly caters to more than 16 000 people.
- For the unemployed, ”Job Plazas” offer efficient individual assessments and activity plans, employments or other measures within five days.
- The city is investing in lighting projects, graffiti clean-up and tidying of common areas to maintain a beautiful and safe Stockholm.
Last updated 10 Feb, 2012