General information about City of Stockholm
- The Stockholm region is one of Europe’s most attractive and competitive regions. The region tops several rankings measuring purchasing power and the industries competitiveness, at the same time the expense of living is relatively low. Stockholm is also one of the worlds most environment oriented cities; it was appointed first European Green Capital 2010 by the European Commission.
- The Stockholm region contains more than a fifth of Sweden’s total population. The region has more than 2 million inhabitants. The City of Stockholm is the most populated area in with more than 850,000 inhabitants.
- The region is home to almost half of the country’s population growth, with significant levels of inward-migration from the rest of Sweden and abroad. The population is highly diverse.
- The Stockholm region population has grown with over 300,000 people in the last 10 years.
- The Stockholm region has Sweden’s largest housing stock, with 924,000 homes, and the highest level of new housing construction in the region. Stockholm City has a housing stock with about 430,000 homes.
Last updated 10 Feb, 2012